Mar 3, 2012

Inspiring interviews: Alyssa Lau

           I know that there are some of my classmates who are constantly on World of Warcraft, and there are others who are incessantly refreshing their Facebook page for new notifications—but when it comes down to it all, it’s true that we are all attached to some internet phenomenon like we were attached to our ragged baby blankets a decade ago.  Personally (and I know it's true for you lovelies as well), I find myself glued to the screen of fashion blogs (and when I’m not looking at them, I’m thinking about them)—especially 20-year-old Alyssa Lau’s blog, The Ordinary Peoples, which she shares with her cousin Kurtis.  If you aren't following her blog yet/inlovewithher, then you probably will be soon enough!   Alyssa is surprisingly a chemistry major who hails from Edmonton, Canada.



While I never asked her the meaning behind her blog name, I do think it is fitting—she is genuine and relatable—which has often been hard to come across in the blogosphere these days.  As somebody who finds inspiration from street style and blogs rather than designers and runways, Alyssa truly epitomizes what fashion blogging should be about.  In her recent post, she declares that “fashion blogging should make people feel better about themselves,” urging readers to take a step back from the recent invasion of negative feelings attached to the constant “sitting, waiting, wishing that you were somebody else.”  Although blogs used to be about sharing personal style that could inspire others, many blogs nowadays have been evolving into conventional consumerism.  Despite it all, Alyssa stays true to herself (pardon my use of clichés), and seems to dress accordingly with her mood—from her laid-back ensembles of boyfriend jeans and baggy Aztec sweaters to grunge-inspired accessories like spiked loafers and body-chains.  She may insist that “everybody else seems to be” cooler than her, but she really is far from ordinary, contrary to what her blog name suggests. 


             I just want to point out that she not only has impeccable style, but she also has a great taste in music, plays Skyrim, and loves animal videos.  Naturally, she has always been the blog I keep flocking back to for inspiration, a laugh, and a way to use time productively (even when I should be doing homework).

SH: You have said previously in other interviews that you cannot describe your own style - but can you describe how your style has evolved?
AL: My style story is a pretty boring one, I'll tell you that. In high school, my fashion taste had barely evolved. I did not appreciate fashion the way I do now, and you could definitely tell by the way I dressed. Throughout University, I guess you could say that I embraced fashion for what it is. I cannot tell you how many hours I've looked at fashion blogs for. I was so inspired by the way real people dress, and I guess this is when my style 'evolved'. I'm what I like to call a late-bloomer. 



SH: I know you're a chemistry major, but I really feel like I can see you becoming something bigger in the fashion industry - do you see yourself switching career paths? 
AL: If given the opportunity, I would absolutely love to do something regarding fashion in the future. There's no doubt about it. However, my lack of experience in that general field I guess makes it a little implausible. But who knows what the future holds!

SH: Why are you inspired by street-style rather than designers?
AL: I really enjoy looking at how everyday people dress. Not only is the clothing cheaper, more affordable, and accessible, it also looks just as good as any designer piece when assembled appropriately (not that there is a 'right' way to wear anything)! 

SH: And finally, what are your tips for aspiring bloggers? 
AL: This may be a bit overemphasized, but perseverance is key. If you keep posting, you never know where it might lead you and what opportunities may open up for you. I can personally that blogging has been one of the best decisions I've made (albeit the fact that I didn't tell family and friends until after a month due to pure embarrassment). Don't take for granted the future possibilities that await you! Also, this one is a pretty boring one, but be yourself. If people want to read your blog, it'll be for you and not for someone else. 

14 comments:

  1. Great interview I love her blog, I always enjoy reading it. She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for your visit dear :) I'm loving your style, following*

    http://behindcatiseyes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview!! She's so gorgeous, and so modest! Defs following her now :)

    x x Stace
    tee+fame

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds so cool and I am loving the pics of her style! She seems to be for you what Beauty Crush is to me. I definitlely plan to follow her as well! <3 Thanks for introducing her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice interview! I love her style :)

    p.s; I love your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and I love her style too!!

    xoxo
    Lizzo

    ReplyDelete
  7. great pictures and interesting interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh thanks for introducing it to us!
    I'm going to check her out :) she has
    great style!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you SO MUCH Stephanie! You're so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like her style! :) I just stumbled over her blog a few minutes ago then discovered your blog. :)

    http://bebe-doll.net

    ReplyDelete