May 1, 2012

Cloudbusting

(Kimono fringe top c/o Love of Eos, shorts from Forever 21, platforms from Steve Madden, floral top from Brandy Melville) - (hat from H&M, oxfords from Boutique 9)
I guess it's pretty inevitable that for spring, I just love muted neutrals and pretty pastels - I mean, who doesn't? I wish I had more sunlight to adequately capture the beauty of this fringed kimono - it's this gorgeous champagne in person and really glistens because of the sparkles!

I realized that I really tend to get lazy with my writing here; because I feel like a lot of my readers are more interested in the pictures. But, at the same time, I want to make this more interesting for you all - so I'll share with you the last article (because I'm graduating at the end of May, and I'll be moving to California next fall for college! On a side note, I'm so excited to meet so many of my blogger friends out there and go thrifting!) I wrote for my column at school. Tell me what you think.

"A few weeks ago, many AP Lit students returned from the Italy trip revived, inspired, and above all, as victims of a palpable withdrawal. With us, we brought back souvenirs, unforgettable memories, new frames of mind, and spur-of-the-moment journal entries. On the third page of my “Fabriano’s artist journal” is the only journal entry I wrote, but I feel like sharing it with you all.

It’s the first time I’m journaling on this Italy trip—but it’s the only time that I’ve really felt like something makes sense, despite my tangled web of thoughts. We finished discussing the idea of surrounding ourselves with beauty, and Mr. Mikkelson compared this to even the way people dress. I do admit that fashion is currently one of the biggest things in my life right now, yet those who don’t understand think it’s merely an infatuation with one’s appearance and materialism. For me, it’s the relentless desire to achieve a standard, an aesthetic, and a taste that makes me content. Immersing myself in items that have history, colors that evoke emotions, textures that soothe, and silhouettes that provoke makes each day better. When I succeed in satisfying my standards, each day seems effortless. There may be some people who close themselves off from trying to create or really appreciate beauty, forming a negative outlook on life. Others, sometimes, use beauty as consolation, turning to these channels to find that light in life. This is how I realized that I don’t and never will dress for another’s person’s opinions because I dress for myself—the fact that this may pique others’ interest is merely a side effect. Now, I truly understand what motivates me to get up early in the morning looking forward to getting dressed. I finally know why when my mother asks me why I “overdress,” I simply respond with, “Because I like to.”

As this is unfortunately the last article I will be writing for this column after three semesters, I guess the point that I’m trying to convey is that personal style, like almost everything else, is about self-exploration. And so I hope that amid all your hectic lives, you’ll remember this—that this infatuation with what you wear isn’t and shouldn’t be about your appearance or consumerism at all—it’s about expressing yourself."
 

10 comments:

  1. Lovely outfits!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

    http://thedamselinadress.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so adorable! I especially love the first outfit.
    Super cute platforms :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love teh outer ♥
    you look adorable with both outfit ♥

    claireteressa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, such beautiful outfits!
    I'm having a real weakness for the first one, mainly because of the floral top and then that amazing fringe kimono <3
    So gorgeous and perfectly summery!

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the outfits! (: I adore your style.
    And for your article...I love it!! Well-written and I couldn't agree with you more. Fashion is fun and it's a great way to find who you are and the satisfaction of putting together an outfit that you enjoy is just thrilling. (: Good luck with moving to California! (: You'll definitely love it here!

    -theresa
    collaredblouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much theresa! i'm glad to know somebody's reading my rambled musings :) the reason i blog is for readers like you <3

      Delete
  6. In love with the kimono top (I have a similar one from f21--so great :D) and the oxfords! This is such a pleasant springtime outfit :) Also, I'm from norcal but I'm attending college in socal; where are you headed?! that's so exciting! :D Best of luck with the move <3

    -victoria
    biku-c.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the fringe cape and mint blouse - really beautiful<3
    I love your blog as well, would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete