Feb 18, 2013

SUPER LONG POST

ASOS belt and beanie, Calvin Klein t-shirt

Hi guys - so I wrote quite a long piece for my column coming out this week, and I thought I'd share part of it with you all so you get a clearer picture of what NYFW was like for me!

I was obviously beyond grateful to be able to be a part of, no matter how big or small, the Holy Grail of all fashion events: New York Fashion Week.  While I was there for a short-lived three days, I discovered many of the myths that are true about NYFW and other bloggers.

Truth #1: If you group a gaggle of bloggers together for dinner, they are going to do the inevitable: A) bring their phones as their plus one’s to the dinner table, and B) feel the need use their digital SLR’s, complete with multiple lenses of different apertures, to take attractive photos of food.

Truth #2: Cross-cultural bonding between bloggers is going to happen.  I arrived on the bus, utterly confused at the lack of English being spoken.  Sitting alone in the back row of the bus (cool kid, I know), I thought to myself, well, this trip isn’t going to be very fun.  I really didn’t know how I was going to manage small talk if it was going to be in German, Russian, or Japanese.  Yet upon the dawning realization that the other bloggers did in fact speak English, it was almost impossible for us not to feel connected by certain habits that pertain to bloggers, such as those stated in Truth #1.

Truth #3: You are going to get the stink eye and unflattering photographs if you’re sitting front row.  Honestly, it was very intimidating.  There are many who are envious and probably thinking, why isn’t that me in the front row?  Subsequently, they proceed to judge your outfit.  And then there is also the fact that I was sitting very near to Selena Gomez.  With all the cameras pointed in our direction, I knew that I obviously wasn’t the subject of the lenses, yet would most likely be in the photos.  That’s when I attempted to look like I didn’t notice the camera was there at all.  What resulted is this: with the magic of Google, I can now find pictures of myself blinking repeatedly next to Ms. Gomez.

Truth #4: Selena Gomez is a lovely person.  This is probably the most common question I was asked when I returned from the Big Apple (along with what the deal was with her and Justin Bieber – but that’s irrelevant).  She asked me how I was, and definitely came off as very genuine!

Truth/Myth #5: The life of a blogger can be very luxurious—emphasis on can.  Obviously there are times as well when there is a lot of pressure to succeed in this industry that have you near tears.  There are women out there who are in their early twenties, or even at a young eighteen or nineteen, who have made blogging a full-time career, making $5000 per post or getting paid $10,000 to wear a certain designer.  I know nineteen-year-old bloggers who are working with Mulberry designing their own bags.  This profitability is obviously not the reason why most of us choose to get into the industry, but building connections, working with the designers you most admire, and truly letting your viewpoint come across are all goals we, as bloggers, strive towards.  We must balance this pressure to succeed in our creative endeavors with the fact that there are very few successful bloggers over 30, or even 25.  There is the very blatant truth that you must race against time’s effect on your age to make something of yourself.  And so, there are a ton of bloggers who feel distressed at the lack of recognition and acknowledgement they receive, and cannot help but compare themselves to other bloggers their age.  However, it wouldn’t be right to neglect the payoff that often accompanies hard work and dedication to your passions.  I honestly did not expect to have a room in Times Square with two beds to myself.

Truth #6: Time scheduling during NYFW is crazy.  One day is going to feel like one week.  While I could only focus my time on the one adidas NEO show, I speak on behalf of other bloggers and people in the fashion industry when I say that there are so many places to be and people to see during these few days.  Amidst all the events and tasks that were scheduled for me, I barely managed to slip in late-night meals with friends, quick shopping at SoHo and 5th Avenue, and make-up work for class.

My brief encounter with NYFW had definitely confirmed most of the preexisting notions (or myths) that I had about it, but in many ways, NYFW had exceeded my expectations. 

32 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time, and figured out a lot about fashion week. It does get tiresome sometimes, but you shouldn't feel like you didn't deserve the whole NEO show and everything surrounding it!

    I like that you said bloggers shouldn't compare themselves to other bloggers. After all, it's just the fucking internet, and we're just posting photos of our clothes. Big fucking deal. It's not the end-all-be-all for me, it's just fun and it's a way to share my work (writing and photos). Anyway, just wanted to say that I love your blog and you seem super cool and genuine.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leggings are gorgeous, amazing look.
    Glad you had a great time at NYFW x


    A Blog by Oroma Roxella Rukevwe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole look is SO chic!! Love it! You look so cool!

    XOXO

    EK

    ReplyDelete
  4. super love your legging

    http://ollyvialaura.blogspot.com/2013/02/join-my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the post. I'm glad you had a fantastic time!!! (: I am so jealous that you met Selena! Awesome outfit; I love the leggings!!

    -theresa
    collaredblouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post! So cool you got to attend NYFW. Nice pants and love your ankle boots :D

    -Alicia
    Neon Fox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute photo!

    www.skinandrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. NYFW seems like it was filled with many wonderful experiences! I do agree with your view on young bloggers. I think it takes a lot of hard work to be where you want to be, and loving what you do is so important.

    I love the boots you have on in this outfit! They look great with the printed pants!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, what an interesting post - thank you for sharing this inside information :) and btw, your outfit looks great! x

    http://allure-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an amazing experience... I hope to attend Nyfw one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved reading your honest take on NYFW. This is my first time on your blog and I must say that I absolutely love your style.Now following :-)
    Ashley Udoh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful look and it's so nice to read your experiences from NYFW:))

    x Marianne
    http://pictureme-m.blogspot.fi

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I found interesting about this post is the age you put on bloggers. Many of the New York bloggers who are successful (example: Keiko Lynn, the Glamourai) are 25 or a bit older. I don't think age, especially when you're in your mid to late 20s, have anything to do with blogging. If you are creative, passionate, and love what you do you do you will get noticed and you will get to work with some awesome people. Also I think there is a niche for older bloggers (look at Grit and Glamouri). It's human nature to compare ourselves to others weather its blogging or in the work place or at school, what you can't do is dwell on that. You just need to work hard, be yourself, and be original. Working with companies and endorsements isn't the end all to be all of the blogging world, its nice to get that recognition but there are a lot of things to take in as well, which we often have to remind ourselves. Also at fashion week everyone is judging every ones outfit weather you are sitting front row or not (just saying lol).

    Anyway with all this said I love your leggings!

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your outfit especially your beanie and jacket. I haven't seen or read a lot of bloggers talking about their NYFW experience the way you have. It's nice to get a new perspective into the whole thing. Hee! x

    http://moiraparton.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. step, truth n.1 is really a good one...mostly of the are so true story! <3
    awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love your outfit! Your leggings & boots are amazing.

    Love your style & blog... I'm your newest follower =)

    Hudson East
    HudsonEast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this post! You look amazing Stephanie! I'm glad you had an awesome time at NYFW. (:

    fashionlei styled

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those trousers are seriously amazing!

    http://ribboninpink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing look!

    xx MJ
    http://shopaholic-thoughts.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your piece! (:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it !! you look great :)

    http://gameofglam.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  22. just became your newest follower. love these leggings, so different from the average prints. would love love to have you follow back xo

    http://myotherclosetiscouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your post about NYFW! I've always wondered what it'll be like :) Gorgeous outfit btw x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing pants!
    xx
    www.clothesandcamera.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, love the truths/myths, so fun!

    I'm glad you had fun at NYFW and I can't wait to hear more about it!

    PS. I'm stealing those leggings ;)

    Ava Tallulah

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your leggings are amazing, I'm so jealous NYFW sounds incredible, lucky girl!

    A little bit Unique

    x


    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your shoes, and I loved the writing about NYFW!
    Lucia x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok, first off, that belt really makes the outfit. you just gave me ideas and I might just try doing this as well. second, your skinnies are perfect! my kind of color and style! you mix chic and edgy at the same time, like i said, i'm definitely digging your style... and third, WTH????? you sat next to Selena Gomez????? how cool is that! I'm super super jealous. You are one lucky girl, you are =) new fan.

    xo, Carla
    misscarlaviolet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are so beautiful ! Following you on instagram



    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete